Monday, February 20, 2006

NEA Code of Ethics, Chapter 1

First off, I want to make sure it is understood that Socrates' dog is mortal.... I just thought that may be the most important thing I read in these chapters. Although they were important to understanding how ethical arguments (and logical arguments in general) tend to occur. I felt like this chapter was speaking to an audience with a severe difficiency in education. As if we were never taught that if A=B and B=C then A=C, transitive property.

The situation with Mr. Pugnacious is slightly more interesting. Simply because as an ethical situation it has no clear right or wrong answer. Involving a young boy who likes to start fights with other kids, and his abusive father, the teacher is torn between telling the truth or lying to prevent Johnnie from getting beat by his father's belt. She tells the lie, but is unsure how she feels. This gets to the heart of what ethics is all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home